If you thought I was talking about skinny dipping I must apologize for getting your hopes up. What I am talking about though can be just as exciting, maybe–well, no. Anyway, what I am talking about is proper hydration! Water is the ultimate essential ingredient and must be consumed in ample amounts on a daily basis. The sad fact of the matter is that most of us are not drinking enough of it. Here are some tips to ensure you are getting more water into your day:
1) Have a glass of water as a pre-breakfast pick-me-up. Breakfast is called such because you are “breaking the fast.” I can think of no better way to get the day going and to break the fast than having a tall glass of water to drink.
2) The next time you feel hungry, drink a glass of water first. More often than we should we mistake hunger for dehydration. This is actually a big problem for me. My body tells my mind that it is starving, when in fact it is dehydrated.
3) Eat real, naked foods. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is especially important because they contain large quantities of water and when they are eaten, the water can be absorbed by the body.
4) Infuse boring ol’ water with natural goodness. Flavor your water with fresh fruit and vegetables. This is a great way for people who love flavored drinks but need to stay away from refined sugar. For great tasting water don’t be afraid to try different flavor combinations like cucumber and lemon, mint, or even strawberry and basil! The following is a little recipe we enjoy around our house.
- 10 thin slices of cucumber
- 10 slices of orange
- 3-4 cups of clean, filtered water
- pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher. Cover and and shake. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve over ice. Enjoy!
You can continue to fill the pitcher with water until the fruit gets soft or starts to change color.
In what ways do you keep your watering interesting? What unique flavors have you tried?